Saturday, February 21, 2009

Looking ahead

My headache clinic called earlier this week to see if I would be willing to be interviewed again for another TV station. The woman who called wasn’t sure if it’d be a national network (like CNN), a local station (like last week) or for something like an infomercial. I initially told her yes, but when she called back the next day with more details I turned her down since it was difficult, strategically, to get there at the time and day they needed. I told her that if the crew wanted to come down here, or meet somewhere between here and Chicago, I would be more than willing to be interviewed mostly, because vanity aside, being on TV is kind of fun.

While I had her on the phone I asked if they knew yet when the trial would officially get started so I could begin to make some arrangements, and she told me they expected it to be approved (the surgical part of the team) by the second or third week of March for sure, and that she’d send me a packet of information so I could read up on the surgery and have most of my questions answered ahead of time.

In the meantime I’ve been trying to run a fact-finding mission so that I know what to expect. My favorite source for nerve stimulation information is a blog run by a girl that’s had the stimulator for her migraines for probably about two years or more with mixed results. The technology has advanced a lot since she had hers implanted, as far as where the batteries can be implanted, the size of the system, and the placement of leads for the affected area. They’ve also seemed to have worked out some of the kinks since they first came out, so hopefully I’ll have fewer complications and more success if I’m eventually implanted. My goal between now and then is to strike a balance between setting my expectations too high and being realistic enough about the results to not be crushed if it doesn’t work.